On October 9, 1990 year Slayer's "Seasons in the Abyss" was released.
Starting with the fast and furious opening "War Ensemble" reminiscent of the "Reign in Blood" album, and ending with "Seasons in the Abyss", whose heaviness corresponds with "Black Sabbath" and its opening riff could have been included on an "Alice In Chains" album, This is the album that best represents the amazing abilities and musical diversity of the band.
Although the album "Reign in Blood" is considered the band's musical peak, we often debate with ourselves as to whether "Seasons in the Abyss" deserves this title more, if only because it proves the band's musical maturity and its writing and performance abilities, that have only improved since "Reign in Blood ".
So let's tell you a few facts about this excellent album:
1. This is the band's fifth studio album and its third in a row produced by Rick Rubin.
2. It is also the band's first album to enter the Top 40 of the US Billboard 200.
3. And also the band's third consecutive album which reached gold album status, and it even did so faster than the other two.
4. The album combines elements and style from the band's two previous albums, while also in terms of its speed and rhythms it is a kind of average between the fast "Reign in Blood" and the more relaxed "South Of Heaven".
5. The theme song "Seasons in the Abyss" written by guitarist Jeff Hanneman and bassist/singer Tom Araya, is also the band's first song to win a video clip that aired heavily on MTV, especially "Headbangers Ball". The clip was shot, among other places, near the pyramids in Giza, Egypt.
6. The punk metal band "S.O.D." Homage the song and album with their own song called "Seasoning the Obese".
7. The second clip released by the band from the album is "War Ensemble". This Clip too, won a rotation on the "Headbangers Ball".
8. The song "Blood Red" is a song that talks about civilians rebelling against totalitarian regimes. Araya noted that he thought about the events of Tiananmen Square in China and when he wrote the song, he saw before his eyes the picture of the student standing proudly in front of the Chinese tank.
9. "Spirit in Black" is written about the angel of death and the evil spirits that take people's souls.
10. The Track “Expendable Youth” refers to gang wars and the fact that they cause unnecessary death of young children.
11. "Dead Skin Mask" was written about the serial killer Ed Gein, who used to shed his victim's skin and wear it as a garment. At the end of the song you can hear words like "I do not want to play anymore, Mr. Gein." And "LET ME OUT!"
12. The lyrics to the song "Hallowed Point" were written by bassist and singer Tom Araya on the type of bullet called a "hollow point" that does a lot of damage to a person's internal organs when it penetrates the body. He was asked if it was a song against guns and said he was not against but also not in favor, and that he holds a weapon.
13. "Temptation" includes 2 different singing channels by Tom Araya. One channel includes the singing as Tom thought the song should be sung, and the other channel includes Araya singing as guitarist Kerry King asked him to sing. Producer Rick Robin merged the two channels, the band loved the result and it stayed that way on the record.
14. It is of course very difficult for the band to perform the song live because Tom Araya could not sing the two singing roles simultaneously and Kerry King noted that he has difficulty singing and playing together. Eventually, the song was performed live only in 2010, when Tom sang only the singing role of one of the channels.
15. "Born of Fire" was supposed to be instrumental. Guitarist Kerry King improvised lyrics while recording, the band loved it and the instrumental section became a song.
16. The song "Skeletons Of Society" is about the evils in society, the decline of civilization, and the eventual Armageddon we are headed for.
17. In 2014 the band released a special Christmas greeting card featuring the album cover after undergoing a Santa Claus-inspired change.
18. "Children of Bodom" bassist said this album is the best metal album ever created.
19. In 1991, the clip for the song "Seasons in the Abyss" won over the clip "Been Caught Stealing" by "Jane's Addiction", in the competition of the "Foundations Forum".
20. "Loudwire" magazine ranked the album second among Slayer's albums, the first being of course "Reign in Blood".