She is charismatic, she's impressive, her music is no less dramatic than her stage presence and she's one of the most prominent women in the metal world, Maria Brink is celebrating her birthday today !!
(Photo: Jeremy Saffer)
1. She was born in New York State on December 17, 1977. When she was still a child her father left home and she had to take care of her mother who was addicted to drugs.
2. When she was only 14 she gave birth to her first son. Maria said it was the angel that saved her life. She was in a very difficult time with her mother and in general and her son gave her a reason to live and find the right path in life.
3. Ever since she was a girl, her dream was to form a band. At the age of 25, she moved to Los Angeles to try and form her own band.
4. Two years later she met guitarist Chris Howorth and in 2005 they formed "In This Moment" with other musicians joining them.
(Photo: Jeremy Saffer)
5. The two began working together, creating and writing songs. They uploaded them to "MySpace" and began to gain exposure that grew over time.
6. Bassist Rob "Blasko" Nicholson, known from Ozzy Osbourne's band recognized their potential and decided to take them under his wing. With the growing popularity on "MySpace", record companies began to pay attention to the band, which soon after was signed by the label "Century Media Records".
7. In 2007 the band's debut album called "Beautiful Tragedy", came out. The album had a heavy style, with the strong and rough voice of Maria's roars, alongside the heavy guitars. The album was particularly successful when a radio station called "Hard Attack" frequently played a large number of songs from it.
8. After the release of the album, the band won a number of major festivals and was an opening act for artists and bands such as "Megadeth", Rob Zombie, Ozzy Osbourne, and more.
9. The band's second album called "The Dream", was released in 2008. The album was more successful than the first one and even entered the Billboard 200. This time the album's sound was less heavy and Maria made less use of roars with more "clean" singing.
10. After the album's release, the band went on an independent tour for the first time, called "A Winter to Remember Tour". Their opening acts included the bands "In Fear and Faith", "Agraceful" and "Motionless in White".
11. The band's third album "A Star-Crossed Wasteland" came out In 2010. According to "AP" magazine, it was one of the most anticipated albums of the year. The album was a great success and received rave reviews from all critics, as well as winning the band the 40th spot on the Billboard 200.
12. Two years later the band's fourth album called "Blood" was released. The album as well as the band has undergone a significant change in their musical direction, replacing almost all of the band members and experiencing more powerful electronic elements than the traditional Metalcore. This album also continued their success and put it in 15th place on the Billboard 200.
13. But all this was just a warm-up to the band's fifth, greatest, strongest, and most successful album, released in 2014. The band that found its musical uniqueness in the previous album, stepped up and strengthened the unique sides of it in this album. Although Maria writes all the lyrics and Chris all the music, this time they did it also with the rest of the band. The album was a resounding success and peaked at number eight on the Billboard 200.
14. At this stage Maria decided to change the band's live performance style and turned it into a theatrical show, with scenery, props, dancers, and special effects. Its purpose was to breathe life into songs so that the audience gets a full experience with the lyrics and music.
(Photo: Jeremy Saffer)
15. The band's sixth album "Ritual" came out In 2017. This was a concept album created around the events of the "Salem witch trials" from 1692, in which women and men who practiced magic or were declared as witches or sorcerers, were persecuted and executed. The album is much more dramatic than the band's previous albums and even feels like part of a movie soundtrack. By the way, it came in 23rd place in the Billboard 200.
16. In March 2020, the band's seventh album "Mother" was released. The album continues the dramatic and electronic style of the previous album, but this time received mixed reviews.
17. Maria has collaborated with various and diverse artists such as "Halestorm", "Papa Roach", "Five Finger Death Punch", "POD" and more ...
18. Maria is also a painter, who besides designing the set for the band's live shows also creates exhibitions.
19. She is considered one of the most beautiful women in the metal scene and in light of this she has won several awards and various beauty titles in the world of music.