Holocaust Remembrance Day
Remember and Never Forget !
It's Holocaust Remembrance Day and we want to help you get through this difficult time with an alternative playlist of 18 Rock and Metal songs, all inspired by the events of the Holocaust and World War II.
The songs in the playlist together complete a weave of the story of World War II and the Holocaust.
We tried to arrange the list, in a chronological order of events, from the rise Nazism, the final solution, the ghettos and extermination camps, through major battles of world war II: the Battle of Britain, the Battle of Stalingrad, the bombing of Normandy and the atomic bomb, and finally "Never Again!"
So if you are interested in listening to the story of the act from a slightly different angle, feel free to read about the content of each and every song and listen to the playlist from beginning to end in chronological order.
The Rise of Nazism
1. Sabaton - Rise of Evil - a description of the rise of Nazism in Germany.
2. Anthrax - The Enemy - about Adolf Hitler: "He is but a solitary man Whose prejudice will spread like a flame Throughout the land."
The Battle of Britain June 10th 1940 to October 31st 1940
3. Iron Maiden - Aces High - the lyrics are written from the point of view of the British Royal Air Force pilot who fought during the Battle of Britain against the German Air Force (1940).
4. Motörhead - Bomber - a song based on a book of the same name and related to the last flight of the Royal Air Force bomber on Germany.
5. Iron Maiden - Tailgunner - the sequel to the song "Aces High". It describes the battle from a different perspective.
The Final Solution - 1941-1945
6. Sabaton - The Final Solution - on the "final solution" to the extermination of the Jewish people.
7. Slayer - Angel of Death - about Joseph Mengele, the Nazi doctor who performed experiments on humans in the Auschwitz concentration camp and was called the "Angel of Death from Auschwitz".
8. Anarchy Club - Get Clean - about a Jew who works in a concentration camp during the Holocaust and is suddenly called by the Nazis to the "gas showers" to "clean up".
9. Civil War - Schindler's Ark - is based on the novel of the same name that was later adapted into the movie "Schindler's List".
10. Slayer - SS-3 - about Reinhard Tristan Eugen Heydrich, known as "The Butcher from Prague", "The Executioner" - the Nazi war criminal who was among those responsible for the final solution.
11. Sabaton - Uprising - about the Polish uprising that took place in Warsaw in 1944.
12. Rush - Red Sector A - A song influenced by the life story of Geddy Lee's parents, who lived in the Bergen - Belsen and Dachau concentration camps and were Holocaust survivors. The words were written about the courage and strength of the survivors and it focuses on their moments of release.
Turning Point and Last Battles
13. Accept - Stalingrad - tells of the Battle of Stalingrad (July 1942 to February 1943), in which the efforts of the German army to complete the conquest of the city by the Soviet army failed. The battle ended in the victory of the Red Army and brought a turning point in World War II.
14. Iron Maiden - The Longest Day - about the invasion of Normandy (June 6, 1944 to August 30, 1944) and its impact on the young soldiers who fought that day.
15. Megadeth - Take No Prisoners - also about the invasion of Normandy (D-Day) which is defined by Megadeth in the lyrics as "the beginning of the end".
16. Sabaton - Primo Victoria - on the events that took place on June 6, 1944, the day the invasion of Normandy began.
17. Rush - Manhattan Project - on "Manhattan Project" - the code name for the first nuclear weapon development project, at the end of which the nuclear bombs were dropped on Hiroshima (August 6, 1945) and Nagasaki (August 9, 1945), thus ending World War II. "Anola Gay" mentioned at the end of the song is the American plane that carried the bombs
"Never again" - Resurrection
18. Disturbed - Never Again - The promise of the establishment of the State of Israel that the story of the Holocaust will not be repeated.
Salem - Ha'ayara Bo'eret"
Salem - Kaddish
Link to Playlist: Click Here.