On July 24, 2001, "Avenged Sevenfold" released their debut studio album.
Let us tell you 20 facts about it:
1. The album was recorded in November 2000 on a budget of only $ 2,000.
2. The name of the album is taken from Chapter 11 in the "Book of John's Vision" or the "Book of Revelation" in the New Testament.
3. The album's style tends to be Metalcore with quite a few growling excerpts from M. Shadows.
4. Taking the vocal lead on the song "The Art of Subconscious Illusion" is Valary DiBenedetto, M. Shadows' future wife.
5. In one take, drummer "The Rev" recorded all drum roles for the album songs.
(Photo: Lisa Johnson)
8. Only then did the rest of the band recorded the vocals and the rest of the instruments.
7. Guitarist Zacky Vengeance recorded both the rhythm & leading guitar roles.
8. After the recordings were done, guitarist Synyster Gates joined and then the band re-recorded the
the song "To End the Rapture" in a heavy metal style and with Gates' guitar solo.
9. This version of the song with Gates's solo was first released as a single released for the song "Warmness on the Soul" in 2001.
10. The band later re-recorded the entire album with Gates on lead guitar and this version of the album was released in March 2002.
11. Only one single was released from the album - "Warmness on the Soul".
12. Although not released as a single, the song "Darkness Surrounding" became the album's major hit and some say it shaped the future of the Metalcore genre
13. This is the band's only album featuring bassist Justin Sane.
14. Sane joined during the recording of the album after replacing former bassist Matt Wendt.
15. Beyond playing the bass, he also received credit for playing the piano on the album.
16. After the album's release, in August 2001, Sane attempted suicide by drinking large amounts of cough syrup.
17. Since the band was scheduled to tour immediately after the album's release, it was forced to replace Sane, who entered a mental institution and was replaced by a new bassist - Dameon Ash.
18. Although the date adopted as the official release date of the album is 24/7/2001, on the band's official website the release date appears as 31/1/2001. However, it is known that the original release date of January has been postponed several times to April and later to June, so it seems that the date adopted is probably the correct one.
19. The album was not very successful in sales, selling only 300 copies in the first week of its release.
20. As of 2010 the album sold only 370,000 copies.